Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A quiet birdfeeder

I'm working from home this afternoon and was just on my way to the kitchen when I spotted something a little different about the laundry line pole where I hang my bird feeders.  A Cooper's Hawk (at least that's what I think it is based on the striping and tail) was waiting patiently for some of the abundant House Sparrows to return to the feeder. 


At 600m from the nearest 'natural' park - Breithaupt Park, and over 2km from the Grand River, I don't get a tonne of interesting bird activity where I live in my 1950's era, moderately treed neighbourhood.  Next to watching the Chimney Swifts chatter about overhead on a warm summer night, hawk visits rate pretty high on the list for wildlife sightings here at home.

The hawk flew off about 10 minutes ago at the hand of a couple squawking, tail-flicking squirrels, but it's still pretty quiet out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment