Monday, May 2, 2016

Stilt and a couple of Avocets

Today I made a stop by Hillman Marsh (Seacliffe Drive) to catch a glimpse of the Black-necked Stilt and a couple of American Avocets which have been around for a couple of days.  Both share page 165 of my Sibley's guide (I tried to get a picture of both side-by-side but they did not want to associate, too busy poking through the mud for bugs).  Both species generally have a southern/western U.S. distribution with the odd one making it's way up and across Lake Erie from time to time.

The Stilt was a new one for me; really fun to watch them working diligently in the shallow water atop their spindly little legs.  It was being quite vocal at times makes a rattling kak-kak-kak-kak call.

A cropped shot of one of the Avocets.
 

I'm taking Friday off to spend the weekend on Pelee Island, as per usual it's gonna be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment