Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Whole lotta Redhead

I'm in Essex County this week for work and managed to do a bit of birding at the end of the day today.  First stop was the Cannery Lagoons north of Comber, lots of Tundra Swans mulling about; Ken had a couple of Cackling Goose in one of the back laggons earlier in the day but the gate was locked by the time I arrived so I stuck to the roadside (though not like the American Mink (Neovison vison) I saw earlier this morning south of Belle River, it had seen better days).

Redhead seem to be present in good numbers, both at the Cannery and a handful of sites around Pelee/Hillman Marsh.  I saw my first Turkey Vulture for the year, this morning, the first of a returning species always gets a double take before it registers...hey, they're back!  Other highlights included Ruddy Duck, a few Wood Duck, Canvasback and Lesser Scaup in and around the onion fields.  We'll be back out tomorrow hoping for a Ross's Goose or White-fronted Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment