Monday, November 17, 2014

Butterflies, yeah, they're alright.

I'm starting to make an effort on the butterfly front.  I just picked up the ROM Field Guide to Butterflies of Ontario, it looks like a pretty handy field guide to have, good photos, range maps, flight season, similar species.  So hopefully I'll put it to the test in 2015.

Back in 2012 I was spotting a fair number of these guys around Waynco Prairie.  Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) is generally found in Southern Ontario from June through October.  They overwinter in the Southern U.S. and Mexico and during the summer they can be found in Ontario, more or less confined to the Carolinian Zone. Apparently they can make Thunder Bay or Ottawa.  The ROM guide notes that a couple even made it to James Bay in 2012, cool eh?

"The genus Junonia is derived from Juno, queen of the Roman gods; sister and wife of the god Jupiter.  She was the goddess of marriage and the protector of the community"


Well la-dee da, aren't you some hot shit, butterfly?  I started a blog, so I've got that going for me, which I good, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment